Thursday, April 4, 2013

Project: The Retro Curtain

Let me tell you about these curtains, we have had them for as long as I remember. I assume they were once collected by my mother, who taught me everything I know about sewing and fabric - she is the Yoda of the garment construction world. However, we both continually break a very important rule about fabric collecting: Only buy fabric that you need for a specific project. Otherwise your sewing room, your bedroom, your living room and your garage will be filled of storage containers filled with fabric that you aren't quite ready to use.


This fabric definitely fits under this category. They haven't been used as curtains for a very long time, but my Mum always kept them with the vague idea she would one day construct something wonderful. She recently cleared out her stash, which was great for my collection but not so good for any remaining space in my bedroom. So I've decided to use these curtains up, there are two large, long curtains with curtain hooks still attached and at least two half-length curtains with faded teal lining. The fabric itself is in excellent condition, a mid-weight cotton heavily embroidered with a swirly flower pattern. I am totally in love with it and start by making one of my cape coats. It is much easier to sew than woollen fabrics which I'm sure makes my sewing machine pleased. Plus I can make my own binding out of the lining which is the perfect colour match.


What a gorgeous cape coat. I have enough curtain left to make three more! This one is destined for the TradeMe shop though, so click on the "TradeMe" quick link to the right of this post to check on the bidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment