Monday, May 6, 2013

Native to New Zealand

Lately I have been doing a lot of research about our native birds. We have a long list of beautiful and rare birds here in New Zealand and I wanted to celebrate these excellent creatures by drawing my favourites. I have since incorporated a few of them into the fabrics I design, if you have seen my Fantail or Tui dresses, you know how great they look!

I really think it is important to learn a little bit about our native bird and wildlife, as someone who has worked in retail, I know the tourists love to come to New Zealand for it's "untouched by man" feel you can come across around parts of the country. Recently I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time at Wellington Zoo and Zealandia, and come face to face with the conservation efforts of the wonderful people who are nurturing some of our endangered birds and other NZ natives. One of the keepers at the Zoo talked about the North Island Kaka breed and release program, which has resulted in twenty Kakas bred in captivity to be released back into the wild at four different locations across the North Island. One of those locations happens to be Zealandia, which is fantastic for me as the Kakas from the sanctuary like to fly around the city and sometimes hang out in my garden!

Also, my new favourite animal is the Tuatara. We went to the Kiwi Keeper Talk at the Zoo and got to meet an eight year old male Tuatara, went in for a cuddle and they are not as spiky as I always thought they were. Very soft skin and very cold to touch! Do not be surprised if you see some Tuatara inspired fabrics from me in the next few months.

Anyway, I have some very cool scarves which will be going on sale in the next month for $25 each. Limited stock available so if you would like to get in first please send me an email for details. We have Keas on white and Kareareas on white - photos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment